View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #366
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
Do you know your average speed through the total B1k? I like seeing your segment times as it helps me understand how fast guys run for that long distance. If you had to guess, what was the percentage of riding you spent below 30mph, 30-65mph and above 65mph?
As pointed out above from wilkinsonk my total avg was a little over 24 mph and the moving avg was probably somewhere over 26. I can tell you for sure the 250 miles of whoops had a huge percentage under 25 mph. There is just no way to charge them for very long.

A funny story is that one of the days of pre-running we parked next to David Pearson (Team Green) and got to chat with him for a couple of minutes before he took off up towards Mike's. His section this year was most of San Felipe and we asked him if he was able to charge the whole section and he shook his head and said "No way. They are just too big. We have to roll some of them just like the rest." So then Mr. Intelligent comment Phil says something like "but you're a gear higher the rest of the time" and he smiled and said, "try two gears higher...at least." That's flying...

Overall I'd say that speeds greater than 65 was maybe 10% of the race, if that. Vegas to Reno was much higher. I was in 4th gear a lot, but obviously I was in 2nd gear a lot too, or else my avg would have been a lot higher.

Quote:
I'm just trying to see how open top speed or slow speed technical/whooped out the course was. I appreciate your detailed postings, it goes a long way to put your efforts into perspective.
It was very technical. Way more challenging than I expected. Up until race mile 100 it was a dream and after that there were no sections to relax. It is not a lie that the entire 250-300 miles of San Felipe is whoops. I didn't believe it when I heard it. I thought there was no way it would be solid whoops. I was utterly and completely wrong.

Another funny story. The other day I was talking to 257x, Mike Frick (other solo finisher) and telling him the trouble I was having on the silt hills near Ojos and he was telling me how he didn't even remember them. I think his mind had checked out at the end or else the sun coming up gave him an adrenalin rush that turned him into a superhero.

Quote:
If it means anything to you, after reading many of your posts I would head out to the SoCal deserts and lay down fast, high mileage days, constantly keeping an eye on my moving average pretending I was "training" for a race.
Hey, if it means something to you, then it definitely means something to me. The fact is that you were training, with no quotes around the word. You were out riding long days. There is no way to duplicate that at the gym or behind a keyboard.

Quote:
Any hope on your book going to paper? I guess I could just sack up and get the kindle app for my phone.
There is hope for it going to paper, but the cost to the reader is pretty high for a printed book with pictures. Currently it would be about $25 and until I can get a bit more momentum with the ebook I'm not focused on getting the printed version out. On the good side, from the Smashwords.com site you can download the book in lots of different formats including HTML and PDF that you can read on your PC if you want. I know for some people it is not ideal. However, I was at first grumpy about reading books on an ereader, but when I finally bit the bullet a couple of years ago and got one, it only took 10 pages or so for me to be convinced of the value of the format and my ability to get absorbed in the material. I thought I could never get "absorbed" into an ebook. I was wrong for sure.

Quote:
Also, what are your top 5 training tips? I'd love to hear them!
Sheesh. I'll share since you ask but remember I'm just a guy figuring it out as I go along. I'll let you know what comes to mind, but of course what worked for me might not for everyone. On page 10 I provided some more detail on some of the training and nutrition, but here is current list of what I think is important.

1) Make the commitment - I made this a priority. I got up everyday and made no excuses not to get it my exercising or training. I did it in the off hours as much as I could so I had as little impact as possible on my family. Once they saw the extra sacrifices I was making for my goal, they were amazingly accommodating.

2) Don't worry about what you eat - If you exercise a lot, you'll need a lot of fuel. Limit the really nasty stuff but continue to eat a lot of good stuff. This isn't a beauty contest and I wasn't posing next to Arnold. I wanted to be strong enough to ride a long time. 2% body fat was not my goal.

3) Run - Row - Ride - This worked for me. I kept the variety of other things. I sometimes swapped an elliptical or bike for running, but this was the main combo that worked for me and kept me from getting too bored with exercising. I still insist that running 6 miles with a 5 pound weight in each hand is an awesome workout for stamina, arms, shoulders and back.

4) Do some distance - Go out and trail ride 100 miles with stopping only for gas. Tell your friends what you are going to do...some will think it's a keen idea and go with you, others (many) will think you are a nut.

5) Test your hydration - As mentioned previously a big breakthrough for me was figuring out the Hammer products (substitute any endurance product). They work. Go on rides using them. Do shorter races using them. My performance changed measurably and my recovery was totally different.

6) Smile - It's all for fun right. I did this as a personal goal and there were many times when I was out all by myself at 7AM in the middle of the desert yelling out loud about how much fun I was having. Like a deranged lonely rider.

Thanks for asking.

-Phil
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote