View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
more importantly, congrats on finally settling on a bike for the project What's the plan?
Thanks. We`ve been looking for a rough R100GS, at the right price, but there weren`t any around. I wouldn`t have minded a GSPD tank, but didn`t want the roo bars, headlight, fairing and instruments, as they would be discarded.

Ray has almost enough bits and pieces already to make a start, but really wanted a GS frame as he then wouldn`t have to cut bits off it.

The swingarm setup was the most difficult one, what to do? I wouldn`t have minded a stretched monolever, as they are simple; Ray was keen to lengthen a twin shock swingarm. We also talked of lengthening a monoshock or fitting an 1100/1150 GS swingarm. Discretion being the better part of valour, a paralever was decided on, as they are now easy and cheap to rebuild.

We`re sticking with the 980cc, twin plugged (of course) plus a few nice touches inside; more on that later when I find out exactly what is planned. The engine will be built more for torque over outright speed as I have a certain driving/riding style brought on by driving trucks, so will most likely use the smaller carbs and exhaust pipes.

5% lower first gear, 5% higher top gear.

White tank and guards with a blue frame. I love those colours.

I can use a Mystic tank, which is similar to the R100GS tank (recessed fuel cap, bit smaller capacity) or a 32 litre R80 GSPD tank, which are still available new at a not too bad price, if you know where to look.

Round BMW headlight on the correct mounts (monoshock type is a good size), augmented by an LED strip mounted below), low GS mudguard, single seat, etc, etc, plus nice touches that will be decided on as the job progresses.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 10:20 PM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote