View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,006
Al, my neighbor to the West, died a couple of weeks ago, but that shouldn't prevent us from using his logging road to get to the top of the ridge, and from there to the top of the meadow where I think we should camp. It's a 6 acre meadow and from on top of the ridge you can't see any structures, and you're invisible from the road.

The farm is called The Violet Rose Cattle Company, and it's inspired by my experiences in Argentina. It's a working cattle operation, specializing in grass-fed beef. We have tractors, horses, and, of course, cattle. I know that some of you are city folk, so if you want to see what it's like to push cows, I'll give you a chance.

Bring your fishing poles, or borrow one of mine. There's a trout stream running the length of the farm, 3/4 of a mile of it. You can actually see the trout in the deeps in the bends. They're not real big, but it's fun to try to catch them.

I've got a place on the stream where you can practice water crossings. I'm an expert at how to do it wrong.

Usually at these things, different people get assigned different presentations. Not like if we have a projector and slides and stuff, but if you want to do a slide presentation, we could easily do that in the house or the barn. Otherwise usually we just tell lies around the camp fire.

In case you missed it, the house is for the wives who don't camp. The rest of us sleep outside. Or in the barn, which is how motorcyclists are supposed to sleep.

If Doogle, Dr. Benny, and Gato Gato show up, that'll make a bunch of us who've ridden to Ushuaia. Maybe we can get more riders who've done it?

Lucio, if he gets his ass to Wisconsin, is probably the best rider I've ever met. For example, he rode a V-Strom to Carti. With road tires. There's a reason why there are two photos of him and Paula on the Front Page.

If Throttlemeister comes, maybe he'll re-tell the biggest hand-dug whale story. And add to the adventures he's having in Central and northern South America. He tells the best stories.

Too bad Colomtnbiker can't come. He and Chris are probably the absolute nicest people on advrider. They saved the first LARR, that's for sure.

Which reminds me- I'll have a truck at the farm, for in case if anybody needs to get hauled or anything. There's also a kubota with a loader, for in case if anybody gets stuck in the stream.

There's also a machine shed and it has a few tools, for in case if anybody rides a KLR, or if Ken rides his BMW.

The closest motorcycle rental I know of is the Harley dealer in Sauk. There's also a Harley dealer in Madison. I don't know anybody who rents non-Harleys.

Most importantly, you should all know that this is your Rallye, and you can make of it what you want.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote