View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #84
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 502
Dates Announced

OK,
Here is the message you have been waiting for. We are going forward with this.

Dates, there are two options, April 30, May 1,2 or May 7,8,9 The one that fits the most schedules will be used. These days are Mon, Tue, Wed.

The total cost will be $400 for the three days of instruction, which includes the following:

-Three days of intensive rally navigation and strategy training from Jimmy Lewis

-Navigation drills, mapbook reading and marking,

-All necessary roadbooks (printed on pages, will need assembly)

You will need:

-Rally capable motorcycle (Full-size navigation mapbook, resettable odometer reading in MILES, fuel range of 120 miles minimum, should be street legal)

-GPS unit that can show a pointer arrow and display CAP (heading, course or track depending on the unit) and Distance to Next waypoint. (Garmin 3 Plus, or 60 CSX recommended)

-To arrange and take care of your own lodging, food, supplies for the training which will be based out of Pahrump, NV which has all amenities.

This class is specific to Mapbook Rally Navigation and will not include any riding instruction. We may do that at a later date for those interested, but it seems most are capable riders. We will be doing short simulated rally routes for practice but there are no long stages, again if there is interest for this level of training, maybe at a later date.

The biggest thing I’m told is that, “The rally isn’t a navigation rally like it used to be.” I fully understand that. But if you are even considering spending the huge amount of money to go and compete in a race like the Dakar, why would you not be fully prepared? I often tell riders that I can save you 10-20 minutes a day by teaching you how to not make navigational errors. Even if you just make one right turn in an area of confusion think of the 5-10 guys you pass, the dust you don’t have to ride in and then the following day you are riding with faster riders. This is compounded every time a critical navigation spot comes up. Making the correct route can be the difference between something as simple as getting in before dark or having to ride a whole day behind a quad. Start adding up the time you save and the riders who “just follow” that you are able to overtake.

For most the goal is just to finish a rally. I had the same goal and spent a lot of time learning navigation and it paid off huge for me. I was never the fastest but I could out navigate just about anyone. Some of it is instinct but most of it is learned skills and practice. That is what we will work on here.

There are a lot of other aspects to going and doing a rally like Dakar and a number of them have been brought up I this thread. I have even had some offers from others to assist with information or training on things like logistics, budgeting, bike preparation and body preparation, which at a later time are all good things to roll in. Yet I’m trying to keep this simple and affordable for this year’s first go-around. If this grows or there is a lot of interest, it is possible we can put more of those aspects into a second or third session where we do longer and more intensive routes later in the year. I am hoping to have some professional riders come out and train later in the year and this could roll into a good program.

Now for the “assistance” or “fun” aspect of this training. 70% of the training will be possible for a novice level off-road rider even on an adventure bike. It isn’t about the riding ability, it is the navigation we are working on. So in parallel we will offer an “Introduction to Rally Navigation” class that will include all of the same training but will not utilize any of the mapbook rallys. Now you can sit in front of that computer or TV screen and laugh at the mistakes the racers are making because you know how it all works! And you’ve tried it! When the “racers” are doing the mapbook sections, the “fun” guys will assist in manning check points and “grade” the racers on navigation by watching them in tricky sections accessed via GPS waypoints and a map.

The Fun Class will cost $200 and include:

-Participation in the classroom instruction and the navigation drills and training.

You will need:

-Street-legal off-road motorcycle

-GPS unit that can show a pointer arrow and display CAP (heading, course or track depending on the unit) and Distance to Next waypoint. (Garmin 3 Plus, or 60 CSX recommended)

-To arrange and take care of your own lodging, food, supplies for the training which will be based out of Pahrump, NV which has all amenities.

The $200 discount takes into consideration that you will not purchase mapbooks and also be helping myself and the racers during the course of the training.

Over the course of the next week I will decide on the final date, so communicate with me at [ lewisj at DSLEXTREME.com ] to let me know what works out best. I only check this in the evenings and may be a day or two slow at getting back to you.

At the moment I may have a few bikes available for rental that are set up for the class and access to a few more that might need some navigation equipment attached. I will know more about this by week’s end. E-mail contact for this as well.

Once the dates are settled in I will put some more specifics up or establish a direct line of communication with the participants. We will need a MINIMUM of 4 racers for this training to go forward. And if this program is offered again it will be substantially more expensive.
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote