View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #1653
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
You don't plan on keeping the WR450F as spare parts for the Dakar? I would think that would save you money in the long run. Or do you have other bike plans for 2013?

I can't help but wonder how I could handle the logistics of importing that Tenere to the US. That is a sweet bike.
Hi DRC -

I would love to keep the WR as spares, and more importantly to rebuild into a new rally bike after Dakar which was my original intention... however, it's a catch 22 - I need to sell the WR to get to Dakar - no point in having a load of new spares if I can't actually make the start line in the first place?!

Yes it is a gamble, but to be honest, the WR is a very reliable bike (a good number of Marathon class finishers have been on a WR), and I'm not intending to go balls-out - just take it steady and actually get a finish this time!

I think with a selection of service spares (many of which I already have - such as bearings, cables, clutch plates, coil, filters, pads etc.) I ought to be ok... it has always been my intention to race Marathon anyway so will not be looking to change an engine on rest day as it is...

Those service parts are all likely to be used after the rally anyway to 'freshen up' the bike if it is still in a state to be raced anyway.

As for the Tenere - there are ways, there are always ways... I understand New Hampshire* is a good place to get foreign vehicles 'inspected' for a US Title... ahem.

Edit: * Bloody hell - I see you are in New Hampshire!!!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote