Originally Posted by malokam
The things I am looking for in the bike
- Should be good for an easy swap of tires between SuperMoto and Dirt setups.
- Mono-shock. I am sick of riding vintage dual spring shocks
- Automatic 2T oil mix. I dont wanna bother with mixing oil myself everytime.
- Should be decent for commuting and occasional dirt rides. (A good compromise between these two is fine too)
- Taggable in AT LEAST ONE of the CONUS states. I can find a friend thats willing to get it tagged for me in their state.
- Decent fuel mileage would be great, but doesnt really matter. (one of those added advantages things)
- Maintenance, I can do myself mostly but something with solid engine and low maintenance cycles would be better.
The last 50 state legal 2-smoke with all that you are looking for was the 77' & 78' DT400E. 1978 was the last year for 50-state emissions exempt street legal open class 2-strokes. It's fairly old technology, drum brakes and 7 to 9 inches of wheel travel, and an early design monoshock and about 30hp stock with oil injection and ample parts sources. They will go 70 mph all day with the right gearing and weigh about 25 pounds less than a modern DRZ (with half the suspension travel).
In the mid-80's there were a number of open class 2T bikes with near modern suspension but none came with oil injection (WR500, KX500, CR500, etc). There are a few of these bikes around that have been dual sported but they were all designed for premix'd fuel & oil.