View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #373
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Out'a curiosity, how well do trails like that drain, and how quickly do they dry out? I will obviously plan on having fresh knobbies for the trip and gonna drop a tooth up front and maybe a couple on the rear.
The local trails contain some dirt with lots of sand and decomposed granite. They drain very quickly. The climate is very arid, so mud dries quickly too. The more serious locals like to ride during, or just after, rain storms because traction is better. New knobbies are always nice, but due to the lack of mud around here, tire choice is not super important.

Dust and loose gravel are more of a traction issue than mud. The more serious guys (including myself) like a trials tire on the rear, but I've also seen a guy with street tires on a supermoto tearing up the trails.

We do have some mud around here:

We only see stuff like this if it's been raining for three or more days straight (rare). The above mud hole was caused by rising ground water. Ryan stank pretty bad after this one. The Forest Service eventually rerouted this trail.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote