View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #67
Kilroy Was Here
Carpe Diem

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnapekko View Post
Cool trip, and takes some guts. I liked the customs-episode, when you noticed the alphabets and phrases missing, that's hilarious. I have visited Murmansk couple of times with a car, and here is a local joke: "How was last summer ? I do not know, I was working that day." I've traveled Baltic countries couple times with 25 year old sports tourer, and a solo tour in Poland/Belarus/Russia is next summer's plan. Just like your grandfather, my father was visiting Russia in 40's, but with a machine gun; I was first from our family to go there unarmed..
Luckily things are different today, and normal travelling among friendly people is now the case.
The magic of Adventure Rider is that it brings diverse people together To add to this subject of the Winter War, my grandfather was one of 3 Norwegian federal policemen who was tasked to investigate and report on any action related to the war on the Norwegian side in the Kirkenes area. I am sure our forefathers would have been pleased to know we would all share the campsite with one another today