Thread: Freeride 350
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,086
Fuel injected, water cooled, electric start, street legal, low seat height with killer ground clearance, under 100 kilos, Brembo brakes, KTM WP suspension, "large steering lock" (which I take to mean tight turning radius), 5.5 liter fuel tank (maybe 125 - 150 mile range?), etc. Yes, de-tuned to 23 HP, but that's not a show stopper for me. And it looks very cool!

I don't remember how many HP my old Montesa had, but on the Cota 247 it was all about torque, not HP and high-RPM power and that bike would go literally anywhere (why oh why did I ever sell that bike ????). You could blip the throttle on that bike and it would literally jump off the ground; you could ride endless wheelies on it. I've owned plenty of 125s, 175s, 225s, and 250s with power in that range (or less) and had a blast on them, but they didn't have top drawer disc brakes, FI, fantastic suspension, reasonable seat height, etc. Even with 49 years of riding experience I can see this thing being a hoot to ride. I'm looking for a lightweight performance trail bike, not a motocrosser or Dakar contender and this thing looks like the real deal. Don't need no stinking rubber-mounted turn signals, etc.

I would love to get a ride on this bike. I hear they're for sale in Canada... My son lives in northern North Dakota, just a few miles from Winnipeg... Hmmmm....

Of course, I have to admit to being a total motorhead and admit that if I could re-tune it for some additional HP I would of course do it . You wouldn't have to futz with chopping weight to get some performance, like on my old DR650 or KLR650, both great bikes with double the HP but also +130 pounds made them real pigs in truly rough terrain.

Doug

manfromthestix screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 05:02 AM
manfromthestix is offline   Reply With Quote