View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #248
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,296
Road Book Holders.

Hey; Now everyone wants a roadbook holder.

My dream for many years has been to do the Dakar, but time, money and women have kept me from it. But that didn't stop me from getting prepared for it. I've setup 500 mile practice loops, and setup my bike for navigation, for many years. I've seen the work required for the Dakar, but most of the other rallys would allow a much different setup, with alot less equipment for alot less money. The basic reading of a road book and or GPS at speed seemed to be the issue. So my setup at the east coast rallymoto events was a precursor and test of the equipment necessary to enter a world class event. Some riders joked at how much navigation equipment I had on my bike for a rallymoto event, and now are trying to figure out what works after 4 or 5 years. Half the battle is being able to view the info needed, the other half is will it survive the event. The only way to be sure your setup will last 1000 miles, is to ride 1000 miles in similar terrain.

One of my first "Rally Brackets" worked fine in the Pine Barrens, for thousands of miles, but as soon as I went 100 miles in the Blue Ridge Mts. it broke. My buddy Chris, who finished the Hero's Legend ride said, "you would have never made it to Morocco"

So here's an example of my current setup. I run this setup in east coast enduros just to test it. However they don't let me use the GPS, so I put the route sheet holder where the road book holder is.

A Rally Mangement Services Bracket, ICO checkmate, and custom Headlight mount bracket. I normally run a GPS where the roadbook holder is but the effect is the same. Same appx weight and I am able to read it at speed.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com

jack splash screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 05:10 PM
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote