View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #62
peekay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
At this point of the trip, I was still staying with my friend Dani in Aptos, near Santa Cruz.

Highway 1 by the Pacific coast is a "must ride" and I've been looking forward to the trip to Big Sur through Monterey and Carmel. I packed my cameras, turned on the helmet cam, and was promptly rewarded by… fog. And more fog!!

Highway 1 near Big Sur

The normally picturesque coastline was barely visible. Such are the breaks, I guess!!!

The next day I took the bike to Ted's BeemerShop for service. I decided to switch the stock tires for TKC80s and replace the chain with DIDs. I also splurged for a GS-911 diagnostic tool and bought a couple tie-downs.

Some TLC at the BeemerShop

I'd highly recommend the BeemerShop should you find yourself needing service in Northern California!

At this point in the trip, six weeks had passed since I left Toronto, and I wasn't even in Mexico yet. It was time to get south of the border.

I hit the superslab to Los Angeles then continued on to San Diego. The ride was mostly boring and full of traffic (lane-splitting is your friend). I didn't bother to put on my helmet cam, and promptly regretted it: riding down Hwy 101, a pod of whales swam by the shore. I couldn't believe it!!

I arrived in San Diego and checked into the Holiday Inn Express in Otay Mesa. Turns out there's a small border crossing here. I'm so close to Mexico I can clearly see Tijuana from my hotel room window.

I walked to the border to check it out.

Almost there... US/Mexico border at Otay Mesa

Most people tell you to avoid the busy San Ysidro border (just five miles away on I-5) and many riders recommend riding 40 miles east to the Tecate border. But there was hardly any traffic in Otay Mesa; Since I was already there, I thought it would be silly for me to detour all the way to Tecate.

The bi-lingual English - Spanish signs at the border were very helpful.

A modern day Rosetta Stone

Canada to Argentina (in progress)
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote