View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #91
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
There is something about this air that makes me sleep like a baby. Or maybe it's because sitting around on your bike all day IS tiring after all. My sleeping-times are out of sync for a few days now, so it's noon when I finally get up. I hastily pack my stuff and hit the road. Too hastily as it seems, 200 km later I notice that I left my point-and-shoot in the hut. It's a tough decision, but I abandon it and decide not to ride all the way back through the rain. Since I just got my first DSLR, I hesitated to take it out and shoot a lot of pictures in the rain, hence not everything got photographed what I would have liked to from now on.

Riding south from Larvik, I'm getting close to Finland. Town names are in both norwegian and finnish, most of the norwegian names are painted over.

Crossing the border to Finland is easy. You just have to sit on your bike, hold on to the handlebar and ride like it's a normal stretch of road with nothing but signs.
Because it is.

In the border town of Karigasniemi I take a right onto a gravel road. I found this route somewhere on ADV when preparing, so I thought I should follow it. 120km through the nothingness of finnish Lapland along a calm river. A few houses seam the road in the Sami village of Angeli.

These gravel roads are different than what I've ridden before. With firm clay as foundation, this provides some surprisingly good traction, although the gravel on top keeps it interesting in curves. I try my luck a few times on straight stretches going over 100km/h, but give up when a local blows past me with a 4x4 at insane speed.

That looks quite good.

Being not that much a fan of game, I still thought I should give Reindeer a try. And I'm surprised. Boy is this some good meat.

Can you say "Fischers Fritz fischt frische Fische"?

A mandatory shot. Not that easy as I had to find out. Somehow they learned an important lesson: as long as you are riding past them, no matter how close, they don't care about you. But as soon as you stop, they sense danger and leg it.

Yes, that's how crossing EU borders look like. I'm not that much used to it, because the swiss borders are still being policed.

Heading towards Kiruna, Sweden.

My view from the camping spot. I almost forget how mosquitoe-infested this place was looking at the picture now.

Walking on this underground with bare feet is amazing. Somehow, a sea shell made it here.

Another day, and I am riding towards the coast again. Having had problems with adjusting the chain for myself, I look for a mechanic in Kiruna, but only car mechanics are around.

On the way to the Lofoten, I follow two locals on sportbikes going slightly too fast. After a few minutes of following them, they aknowledge me behind them and wave me past. As soon as I am past them, they stick to me and seem to have fun chasing me. This is good. Adrenaline is rushing through my veins. Left turn, right, right, and left again. Getting closer to the asphalt and flying through the landscape, I feel alive.

We part our ways at an intersection after about half an hour riding together. These two blokes were good travel companions, I think. Having never spoken to them, heck, not even seen their face, we wave goodbye like we knew each other for ages.

This makes me realize, that the only words I spoke in the last days were to clerks at gas stations and in super markets. Having more than small talk is difficult, it really is a difference. Here I am only another tourist.

Beautiful Lofoten. What is there to say?

The Lofoten are at the perfect latitude. Sunset fades seamless into sunrise. It's no wonder I can't stop riding, enjoying lonesome roads through these mountains protruding out of the ocean.

It's 4 AM when I finally decide to get some rest and sleep under the moon. This place is a dream.

AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote