View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #33
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Secured the NSU and Now My Clutch Doesn't Work

Make sure the teeth on the horizontal splined shaft are pointing to the front when you put the cover on (first photo). It spins freely in the clutch but I'm not sure if the cover will even go back on if the splines are pointing the wrong way. Since the vertical splined shaft (in the cover) is machined 360* on both ends, it doesn't matter where it is when installed. That adjustment is made with the arm after the cover is on.

Here are a few reference pics, I think they'll be close for most DR650s.

Photo thanks to LukasM:

Look at the clutch cover bolt in the background as a point of reference (arrow), easier to see in the next pics. In this photo I'm gently pressing the arm to the left, CCW (just to remove freeplay) and it's too far rearward.

I've rotated the arm TWO splines forward and it's too far. I'm still gently pressing the arm CCW.

Photo below:
Rotating the arm back one spline and this time it's where it belongs, almost lining up with the cable end; but that's because it's on my bike and the cable is already set correctly. If your cable is unadjusted, go by the arm and cover bolt, then adjust the cable.

Pic 4 is what you want: If your clutch worked before, adjust the arm to this position.

Pic 4 and pic 5 are both on the same spline. In pic 5, I'm rotating the arm forward to show the freeplay of the vertical shaft.
If you have the arm on the correct spline, it swings freely between pic 4 and 5.

Pic 5:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 11:03 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote