View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #105
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 845
The day after the snowy/rainy sho, the sun came out for a bit, so I decided to explore the sooke hills a bit.

IMG_0605

Is this the work of a cat?

IMG_0611

IMG_0608

And out of nowhere, it starts snowing!

IMG_0614

But the sun tries to poke through and I'm having lots of fun discovering the back road connections.

IMG_0617

And then another wall of snow heads my way

IMG_0618

There's been a lot of logging up this way lately.

IMG_0619

IMG_0622

And the roads are fresh! This torrent set up seconds after slugging through it. The ground is saturated.

IMG_0623

IMG_0628

The most undecided weather ever!

IMG_0631

I come across this creek and try to find a way around. it doesn't look like this continues...

IMG_0634

So many options...

IMG_0635

This way?

IMG_0637

Guess not

IMG_0640

There were some locals who 4x4'd here having a fire and beers on the river island ahead. The crossing after this one was a fair bit deeper, and I debated wether it was worth doing. A guy on a quad came up, and I watched his line. At least there were lots of people to help if things went wrong! I ended up doing it just fine! It was a good soaker though, I don't think I'd want to do it alone.

IMG_0639

This is the deep portion a week later. I think the level went up in this photo. Probably the snow melt.

IMG_0666

Soon after the crossing, I ascended some steep rocky terrain, and found this on the way up! I guess someone forgot to do up their bag!

IMG_0641

I had about enough of this and turned around.

IMG_0643

And my sharp eye saw this off the side of the bumpy trail! It was a yard sale today!

Yard Sale

After 50 km of dirt, I headed for pavement, with the daylight burning, and storm clouds coming.

IMG_0653

IMG_0659

The colours of the west.

IMG_0661

IMG_0660
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote