View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #36
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,689
Just saw this thread. Nicely done Geek.

I'm up around 35 hours on my street legal 500xc-w and 825 miles.

I too have all the awesome HDB stuff, but instead use most of the stock electrics. I put in an earthX Lithium battery. Made here in CO. I'll be putting one in my 950 too. Great product. Cranks well in the 20's, good enough for me.

I have the ignition map switch and basically keep it on the "mild" setting for two reasons. The bike has so much power and I find it easier to control corner exits in the "mild" mode and I can get 80 miles per tank.

If I am not concerned with range I'll bump up the setting. The bike just plain rips and feels very light. At times it could use an opera singer attached to the front wheel to help with steering.

I rode a 350xc-w over the weekend and it is a much better singletrack bike and I felt I could ride it faster on desert singletrack, but it would not cut it for long technical dualsport rides for me. The 500 will easily do long distance dualsport rides in comfort.

[This is for you Larry] Comparing the 500 to the te610 in terms of gearing. For technical riding I gear my 610 14/48. The 610 can chug down low much better but is no match for the 500 in the faster stuff and in regards to suspension. It isn't even a valid comparison. The 500 will allow such bigger hits without getting all wonky on you. Plus, the adjustment can give you plush in rocks and stability in big sand whoops. The 610 is just survival mode if you push it, the 500's limits are so far out their I will never see them. The 500 could use a lower gear for very technical stuff, but the clutch is good so you just abuse it. The 610 is less tiring than the 500, unless it is slow technical riding or fast with big hits, then the 500 all the way. The 500 has a higher top speed with its stock gearing, even in mild mode.

I ran out of gas again this past weekend. I've run the tank dry on this bike around 7 times now. I'm dying for the bigger tank and then I can replace my 610 if I can get 150 miles out of this thing. Some folks say it is bad to run FI dry but I've done it so many times and I have not seen any issues. YET

I'll be watching this thread. Keep it up Geek.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote