View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Copper Canyon Mexico or Will I come back alive?

Planning and Preparation

I had been wanting to do a trip to Copper Canyon Mexico for a while. My mode of transportation will be my '97 F650 Classic. My opportunity arose when I attended the Horizons Unlimited (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/) meeting in Cambria California last October. I met Burt in Cambria and mentioned my intentions. He spoke up and said “ How does March 2012 sound?”. Turns out Burt is quite the seasoned traveller, rides around 20-30,000 miles a year, and had been to Copper Canyon about 12 times. Well, over the next four months I would read all the ride reports on Copper Canyon I could find, get a few supplies I would need, and peruse maps and GPS tracks of Mexico. I highly recommend the Horizons Unlimited meeting to be held in Cambria again this year. Tons of good information for those interested in dual sport adventure travel.

Horizons Unlimited Travellers Meeting in Cambria. by elainegarvey, on Flickr
(Had to borrow this off Flickr as I can't find my Cambria photos)

Our plan is to conquer three of the seven canyons that comprise Copper Canyon (four times larger than the Grand Canyon in area). This essentially means dropping into one canyon, then climbing back out the other side and cross the intervening mesa before dropping into the next canyon. The roads can be challenging and I think it would be difficult to traverse with a 4 wheel drive in areas.. Having never ridden with the other guys there is always the question as to how our riding abilities differ and if our personalities will mesh. I knew I would be the rookie rider of the bunch and hoped not to be a hindrance the group.

As the date got closer I acquired my Temporary Vehicle Import paper (https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/, $200 deposit, refundable on exit from Mexico), Mexico Liabilty Insurance (1 yr insurance on my drivers license about $89), Medivac Insurance, $89/yr), prepared a tactical wallet (expired license and credit cards, etc), ordered up some Wolfman Expedition soft panniers (turned out to be a great purchase), hard bags would not survive this kind of trip and would be a danger for leg entrapment. Downloaded a Copper Canyon map for the Garmin, loaded all my music on my smartphone and linked the GPS and phone to a Sena SMH10 headset. Music was good for passing time on the long freeway stretches. Got a international calling card, put a new Tourance on the rear and kept my Shinko 705 up front. Packed and repacked a couple of times, eliminating items each time until I got down to a minimum. Got rid of all cotton clothes and went with synthetics which are lightweight and easily hand washed on the road.

Essentials fit in the tankbag, clothing, shoes, and toiletries in the left pannier, extras in the right pannier (first aid kit, water filter, survival knife, sleeping bag liner, tubes) and a toolbag on the tailrack.

Monday, the day before departure. Went to work, didn’t feel to good and left early with a fever. Get in to see the doctor and he confirms virus and lingering bronchitis. Loads me up with inhalers, Cipro (for travellers diarrhea), and wishes me luck!
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X

chabon screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 12:51 PM
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote