View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #94
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
Mexico is costing me a lot more money than I expected with the crappy gas and cuotas, as much as I try to avoid them but my only guide is a crappy old map. Looking forward to Guatemala. Ive decided to take after BigAlSmith and throw a donation button, never expected but always appreciated. Last year my employer in Bellingham ran away, filed bankruptcy and my last three checks bounced, so I have $1800 less for this trip than I thought.

I have some savings though, its not an adventure if you dont have at least one variable out of control!

I like this one too "Adventure is misfortune recounted as leisure" -Somebody
This guy had something to say on the subject:

"To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… “cruising” it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

“I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of “security.” And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine – and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need – really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in – and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all – in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer?

In choice…!

Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life…?"

- Sterling Hayden

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote