View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,854
day 4

day 4

So the boat itself is fine except not having any bunks, the vehicle decks are about the same as any other ferry I've been on. The downside was that I put a little too much juice on the ratchet straps and bent my sidestand a little, the resulting angle of dangle will be obvious to you in subsequent photos. The free seats do have a headphone jack so I put in the earphones and slept as well as I could to instrumental music with my feet up on my bag after getting changed out of my riding gear and treating myself to a beer in the bar, it is an adventure after all and what adventure is complete without beer?

I'd had the forethought to gas up the night before to save time in the am, after looking at a map on the boat I knew I wanted route 223 out of Sydney to run along the top of Bras D'Or Lakes and thus eliminate a good stretch of slab. It's a nice little bike road with minimal traffic. At little narrows I paid my $5.25 for the 5 minute ferry bringing me up to 2 ferry rides in 4 days. (this might be a theme)

Little Narrows

nice folks on the ferry

I stopped at the info center in Antigonish to thaw out a little, make a couple of phone calls and look at a map to see where to pick up route 6 along the north coast. Take the exit off the roundabout in Glasgow and giv 'er. I was outside Pugwash looping north on 366 when my low fuel light went on, my mileage has been crap since my first tank of low octane on the rock. Not wanting a repeat of day 1 I turned around and went back knowing there was fuel in Pugwash. Dresda caught this on my Spot tracking page, nice to know there are friends looking out for you-thanks a bunch!

I crossed into New Brunswick near Baie Verte, hmmmm...time warp. Then followed the signs to Shediac where a couple I knew from Jasper owned a restaurant, but they'd sold out the year before. I called another buddy from my seasons in Jasper and made a hasty decision to boot it up to Miramichi to see him and his wife jamming it on route 11; I hadn't seen Rob and Karen in a few years since my little ski trip through Smithers. They have a beautiful property where they grow most of their own veggies etc and lots of grapes. Google a chicken tractor sometime, interesting bit of work.

Rob & Karen outside the chicken coop

I talked to Gregster and we agreed to meet on the road, route 8 is a nice ride that follows the Miramichi River for aways before turning south to Fredericton. I had taken the long detours because I thought Gregster was getting home from work between 5:30 and 6 but I later learned he'd stayed in town working, jeez, I would have headed straight there by the most direct route if I'd known instead of adding an extra 300 km's to my day? Oh well we were going to the same place for the weekend anyways and would have time to drink more beer later. We met up at a gas station on the edge of town then went on a beer run before pulling my bike into his shed to clean my air filter that I'd forgotten to do and we realized my beer opener was hampered by the panniers so did an emergency relocation narrowly avoiding certain disaster!

the warm glow of a nice shed after a longish day

disaster averted * photo: 2twisted

We had a little supper, checking in online on the CroMag threads, and finished the beer before crawling into bed; tomorrow was going to be another full day in the saddle.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote