View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #48
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser View Post
Not about an RD, but one of the other 2T bikes of that era.

Late 70's I had a huge brain fart and decided to buy an H-1 to go roadracing. Ported the intake and exhaust, cut off all the unnecessary street stuff. Added expansion chamber exhaust, velocity stacks plus clip-ons and I fabbed some rearsets. PZ2 tires (remember those?) completed the build.

Until then I had just ridden a '77 Yamaha XS500 (parallel twin) which handled well- for those days- but was a bit down on power.

The Kaw 500 triple was the opposite. Good power once it was "on the pipe" but handled like......well it didn't.

Back straight at Bridgehampton was actually a series of slight lefthand kinks. AAMRR would have a second ambulance stationed at the end of those kinks and before the carousel. The H-1 would quickly weave down that section so badly that I figured that it would chuck me off and my body could slide right up to the waiting meat wagon.

THANK god current bikes have improved light years beyond those pieces of crap. I'll take a bike that can stop and handle along with accelerate.

The 2 strokes can take their place in the museum, IMHO.
Just to counter that a bit....

1984 - I was running a GPZ1100 in the AAMRR Open Production class (I won the championship), and after one practice at Bridgehampton, I was talking to two fast 2-stroke riders. One was the Formula 2 (TZ250) champion, and the other was the Formula 1 champion on his TZ750, and we had all been playing around together.

They asked me if I knew exactly what my bike was doing on that same back straight, with how poorly it handled.
They thought I was going to run off the track at the end.

I told them yes, thanks for the reminder, but that's how you rode it. When it stopped wobbling through the bumps was how you knew when to bank left toward the carousel, because your vision was so blurred.

They both said no thanks - they'd stick to the real race bikes -- 2 STROKES !
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote