View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #94
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
See... I knew it couldn't be that easy.........................
I can't speak of the 8GS..... but the DRZ has the exact same set up.....and suffers the same issues. ..ie... higher idle charging voltage.....then dropping by almost 1/2 volt at 4000. What is going on there is the positive wire on the dc side is very thin.... or at the very least....thin enough to satisfy a voltage drop....the distance it travels from the rr to the battery ( about 4.5 feet in length). I changed it to one 10 gauge wire and gained about 0.35 volts to the battery. So it is a real thing.... But although the DRZ's stator...RR ...is very close in charging voltage.... it comes in at half the wattage....@ 200 watts...... So I will have a look.... I run out of warranty in 3 days.... and I have no issues with a hack in the wires....and documenting this.... so I will order the new meter today....and proceed forward....as soon as it arrives....

Erling

(ps).... It is important to know...that this will not fix the imbalance between idle and at rpm voltage... But merely lower the ressistance in the wires....allowing for the voltage to jump a little... But if that is enough...to tip the charging system to work by maintaining the battery correctly....then have at it.. We will find out.

(pps).. Joel.... as mentioned before.... we ( me and others) are cluttering your thread....with this stuff.... So please let us know when enough is enough....
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote