View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Best bike for a newb interested in enduros and hare scrambles

Hey Everyone,

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or over in the Thumpers section since it applies to both.

I'm almost 43 years old, and deep in my mid-life crisis, however my wife says my whole life has been a mid-life crisis. Anyway, after riding streetbikes, BMX and mountain bikes I finally want to realize a dream of riding off road, and doing some hare scrambles and enduros for fun. I'm not sure why I waited this long since I was drooling over dirt bikes since I was a kid, and my parents wouldn't let me get anything bigger than the Honda Z50 I had when I was 8. But before you know it, your almost 43 and turning grey with 2 kids and dog going "what the hell happened".

I'm in pretty good shape, run 5 days a week training for an ultramarathon in June, and I windsurf, and paddlesurf whenever I can, so I need to get a bike, learn to ride in the dirt and get in bike shape. I figure if I get a bike now, and ride all summer, I might, just might be able to attempt a hare scramble this fall in some "senior, over the hill, where did he learn to ride" category.

I live in northeast Canada, so the trails are rock, roots, mud and heavily wooded. What kind of bike should I get? I'm thinking 250cc, not sure if I should go 4 or 2-stroke (no nothing about 2-stroke, other than you have to mix gas). I know full on motocross bikes are out of the question. I did see a very nicely maintained 2003 XR250R for sale, which I'm thinking would be good, but I'm looking for other options as well. Oh, I'm 6'1 and 178lbs.

Suggestions, comments, sarcastic remarks.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote