View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #100
JoelWisman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Long thread so havn't read it all yet.

What I do know is I have seen these shorai lightweight batteries fail at the track. They are intended for track use and still they fail or loose charge.

What is more of a problem is you CANNOT charge them without the Shorai special charger.

That = no go for me on a touring adventure bike. Is there more to the story? Can I get the cliff's notes version?
Cliff notes..... not yet, but close. You can charge a Shorai or any other LiFePo4 on any charger that meets the following requirements.
1: does not exceed maximum charge rate printed on front of battery, which for the LFX21 is 21 amps.

2: Does not have a pulse or high voltage mode that is automatically engaged.

3: is set for a finish voltage of no greater then 14.4 to 14.7 depending on the LiFePo4 manufacture.

Most lead/acid chargers meet all 3 of these requirements.

Now for maximum life when the bike is layer up, all lithium like to be stored between 50 and 70% charged, so leaving it on a constant maintenance charger would only remove battery life, but many lead acid chargers shut down once charged unless the battery gets below a certain voltage, which is fine for LiFeP04 batteries. But you want to avoid maintenance chargers that have a pulsing maintenance desulfating storage mode.

Interesting that I keep defending Shorai, because for touring or adventuring, I think their battery sucks! I'm just trying to make sure people dislike them for the right reasons so if they change their product in the future to something good, people won't be biased against them as I absolutely DO believe LiFePo4 chemistry will and should replace lead/acid batteries.

Also, many of my Shorai complaints do not extend to all LiFePo4 batteries, just Shorai so far.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote