View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
.....Good Feeling.......

Stage 3 Sahuripa to Creel, 258 miles.
Google Map of todays route http://g.co/maps/8skc2

Woke up this morning feeling alive again. Had some coffee and fruit and get a good start. Mike’s interested to see if the WT-400 fix is going to work. I have a hard time starting as usual. I have the proverbial “Puking Fuel Syndrome”. I had replaced my needle valves, o-rings and seats just 9 months ago with new (new old stock?) Suzuki parts as preventative maintenance. Maybe the o-rings were old and brittle to start with, maybe something in or not in the Mexican gas caused them to fail?

We drove south on Highway 20 and connected to Highway 16. 200 miles of twisties today and no traffic. This was ideal day, feeling good, great roads and scenery. Mike’s electrical problem seems to be resolved. Here is today’s theme song.

IMGP0942 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0943 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0945 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0946 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0948 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0949 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Have to keep your eyes open for livestock

IMGP0950 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0951 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0952 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

This could be in Wyoming. High plains, crisp air, smell of pine and sage.

IMGP0954 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Finally, a straight section of road, wrist is getting tired.

IMGP0955 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Stopped to see what this was. Talked to a guy working here and he told us it was a house an attorney was building. It was at the summit of the road and would be a good tourist spot. The road behind leads to a small village and new airport. Seem to be seeing a lot of brand new roofs on little adobe houses, new airstrips, new shiny SUV’s. I guess the alfalfa crop was good this year. Didn’t take photos of the airstrips, SUV’s or people. Didn’t want to piss off the wrong people!

IMGP0957 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0958 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Made a stop at the waterfall, can you see it?

IMGP0959 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Here’s a closer look.

IMGP0960 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0961 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0962 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0963 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0966 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Weather has been excellent. Not too hot, not too cold, sunny and dry. A bit crisp in the morning, used the heated grips in the higher elevations, even saw a small patch of snow.

Start to notice the lack of any wild animals. Saw some road kill and livestock. But no critters. I think they have been hunted to extinction in this area. Food is more important to these people than protecting a frog or rare bird. And of the livestock I saw, the cattle didn’t have much meat on them, ribs sticking out pretty good. Goats seem to fare better, they can probably eat the scrub brush the cattle can’t.

Pulled into Creel this afternoon. This is a tourist town and we are the only tourists (well maybe a few others) in town! This makes us fair game for all the kids looking for handouts. A couple of the little guys found our hiding place behind the Motel Los Pinos and did their thing. Have you ever wondered why all these kids have runny noses? Well, I think there is some school for street kids where they learn the trade and the snot is just makeup??? Not sure, but thats my theory. The Tarahumara indians are stationed up by the train depot where the tourist train comes in. Have their goods spread out on blankets and all are brightly dressed. I notice the afternoon train pulling in and see more porters in vests, caps and white shirts then there are passengers. Tourism is way down.

IMGP0978 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0970 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0969 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0971 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The ATV rental place was next door.

IMGP0972 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

We are here on Saturday night, pretty quiet, buts its still early.

IMGP0973 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0974 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

We went to dinner, I had a great milanese, and a guy comes in and starts singing and playing his guitar so loud we can’t visit with each other, one other family in the restaurant. He moves closer to us and turns up the volume, sure seems like a long song, I think he’s adlibbing just to prolong the agony. At any rate he finishes and comes up to the table for his tip. Me, not be familiar with the exchange rate, what the different coins are, etc, must have under tipped! He gave me a disgusted sneer and moved on. Have I marked myself as a target? There are some dark alleys and doorways on the way back to the hotel.....

Tonight I have a TV and can catch up with the world. What I really want to watch is the weather, seems like it could be better than a soap opera (thanks for the insight Brad). Well, go figure, TV not working. Guess I will have to get a weather update from Brad tomorrow.

Tried my international calling card. All it would say is that the phone number does not exist. Then I call the Mexican support number....... this phone number does not exist, rats. Wifi not working either, have been out of touch for a while now. I do send a SPOT update every night but there is no way for anyone to reach me if they need to. Will have to find an internet cafe tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a day of rest and maintanence before descending into the canyon!
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X

chabon screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 07:39 PM
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote