View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #34
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Here an Airstrip, There an Airstrip, Everywhere an Airstrip, old McDonald had a farm

Got curious about all the airstrips I saw today and checked it out on Google maps. This is what I came up with. I know I saw a couple new ones that didn't appear on Google and I probably missed a few. Some of these are only 3 or 4 miles apart.

airstrip Sahuaripa by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

airstrip Santo Tomas by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

airstrip Bamori by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

airstrip Arivechi by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

airstrip Tacupeto by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

private airstrip by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

airstrip Guisamopa by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

airstrip Yecora by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

airstrip Maycoba by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Airstrip Middle of Nowhere by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

airstrip San Juanito by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Construction of creel airport kicks off this month
Mexico's Communications and Transport Ministry (SCT) will invest 312 million pesos in the construction of the Barrancas del Cobre airport in Creel, Chihuahua, starting this month.

The project will seek to attract 613,000 tourists per year, or about 1 billion pesos, develop hotel infrastructure and create 4,000 jobs.

During the first three years of operation, the airport will only allow landing of small aircrafts of up to 70 passangers each, connecting with cities like Hermosillo, Culiacan, San Jose del Cabo, La Paz, Durango, Torreon, Chihuahua, Ciudad Juarez, Monterrey, Nogales, Tucson and El Paso.

Starting the fifth year of operation, the Creel airport will be able to welcome flights from Guadalajara, Mexico City, Los Angeles and Phoenix.

The new terminal will give economic support to the Tarahumara region, where the Chihuahua government is launching a touristic project that will link to the rail system connecting Chihuahua with the Sea of Cortez.

airstrip Creel underconstruction by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Funny thing is, I didn't see one airplane the whole time. I wonder how many of these show up on the aviation maps?
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote