Quiet Sunday morning in Creel.

IMGP0975 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0976 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0979 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0981 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0982 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0984 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0985 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Today was a leisurely day spent doing errands and maintenance. Burt and Mike were going to have the tire guy mount the new knobbies, but he was closed so they did it the old fashioned way.

IMGP0988 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMG_0690 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Remember, you are responsible for safety, do not touch!

IMGP0989 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Brad and I hit the internet cafe near the train depot. Through a series of grunts, groans, and a few spanish words thrown in for good measure we got online and a coffee. The girl showed us two paper coffee cups and asked which one we wanted, they were the same size, just different decoration on them. We both picked the same one and it turned out to be some kind of flavored coffee drink, Creel’s version of Starbucks. It was actually pretty good. Caught up on email, purged a lot of junk mail and headed back to hotel. Mike was finishing up his tire and then we took off on a little local ride to Lake Arareco, Valley of the Mushrooms (Valle de los Hongo), and the old mission in San Ignacio de lo Yola. Seems like wherever you stop kids just kind of start appearing, even out in the middle of nowhere. A large group of young Tarahumara girls approached us at the lake selling their baskets and bracelets. Mike had a handful of coins and systematically handed them out so that it was fair for all of them.

Elephant Rock, see the kids appearing out of the forest?

IMGP0991 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0992 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMG_0695 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0993 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
They were having Mass at the church so we didn’t look inside.

IMGP0995 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0996 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMG_0701 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0997 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

My bike was running crappy the whole time. Wouldn’t idle, would bog down if not at highway speed, puking fuel problem was getting worse. Decided I better pull the carbs and take a look. The o-rings that hold the float carrier were not completely seated so I slathered them with Brylcreem (contains mineral oil, I think I will keep some in my tool kit!) and they slid right into place. The o-rings holding the needle seat in-place were the real culprits and there was nothing I could do for them. It is Sunday and none of the parts stores are open and if they were, not sure they would have the correct o-ring. Put it all back together and figure I will just deal with it.

Burt told us about leaving $400 at some restaurant or hotel a few years ago somewhere in Mexico. The next time he was in the area he stopped by not expecting to have anybody remember about it (it was 3 years after he had left the money). Well the guy disappeared for a minute and handed the money over to Burt, he’d been waiting for him to return! You think that would happen here at a Motel 6? Mike is in high hopes because he lost a cell phone the year before at El Tanque, a small town we will pass through later.

Tomorrow we descend into the depths of the Canyon. Destination Batopilas.
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote