View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #40
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
We're Going Down....

Stage 4 Creel to Batopilas, 86 miles, 5.5 hours.
Google Map. If you zoom in you can really see some twisties as we get closer to Batopilas.

Some cruising music to listen to while you check out todays update

Road leaving Creel is pretty new asphalt. Actually the road all the way to maybe 20 miles outside of Batopilas is paved. Then we hit the construction area. A little bypass to the old road, not very good. Loose pockets of gravel and rocks, not so bad but I did have my first get-off here. Double track area and I chose the track closest to the hillside, the other track was kind of close to a big drop off. Big drop off meaning something you could easily base jump off of. The hillside track was in worse condition and I hit a bunch of loose gravel. Brad was there pretty quick and we got her stood up again. Cleared the carbs and continued down. Its like we are descending into a different era or time. Civilization is melting away. Anytime we pass a small village or group of kids everybody waves and smiles. We have some sort of celebrity status down here. I also imagine that we are being eyeballed by the local lookouts just to make sure we don’t wander into areas they prefer we not see. Seems like word is passed down the canyon that there is a group of motos on the road, just some crazy gringos.

Here some of the scenery.

IMGP1004 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1007 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Freshly oiled

IMGP1005 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

One of the typical road hazards

IMGP1009 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1012 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1013 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Resturant, but it was closed. Had a picture of a marijuana leaf painted on the wall next to the front door, must have been for buena suerte (good luck).

IMGP1014 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Could this be our breakfast? Lots of goat on the menu here.

IMGP1015 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1016 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Familiar bridge to all that have been down here

IMGP1018 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

A rest stop at a small kiosko in the middle of nowhere. Actually, everything is in the middle of nowhere from here on.

IMGP1020 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Mike enjoying a cold one with his new BFF. The dude didn’t move the whole time we were there but we knew he was alive because you could hear him weezing. If he could have talked he probably would have told us about his days with Pancho Villa and how he got his hand shot off in some far off battle.

IMGP1021 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1022 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Entering Juanita’s Hotel in Batopilas, courtyard parking is available

cc 2012 053 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

cc 2012 054 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1023 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

View from the terrace. The black pipe up in the air is the water supply pumped from the river with a sump pump. The pump is placed where the people bath and wash their clothes. Also saw some cows using the river as a toilet. Water level very low.

IMGP1025 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Laundry Day. Mike and I pay Juanita to do our laundry. I think it is like $3. Worth it!

IMGP1028 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
(Juanita has an actual washing machine)

Bath day for others

IMGP1029 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1032 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Burt knows where every beer vendor is and the most direct route to get there in this part of Mexico.

IMGP1033 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Got to have Fanta in Mexico, sugar, not corn syrup.

IMGP1037 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1038 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1039 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

We found the internet cafe. About six people using computers, mostly kids, and us. Brad and I want to check our mail and I wanted to see if the SPOT track was working. I think I brought the system to its knees when I clicked on SPOT. You see, I think all the computers were using one dialup 2400 baud modem! I got out of SPOT and went to gmail, waited a few minutes to read one or two emails and then cut my losses and got out of there. I think we are spoiled with all our cable and DSL, but I imagine this is a real link to the outside world for these kids.

IMGP1041 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1040 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The swinging pedestrian bridge

IMGP1045 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
We watched a guy push a propane tank across on a dolly (to the far side), hoist the tank over his shoulder and hike UP the hill with it! Very impressive seeing as how these tanks weigh about 70 pounds and hold 100 pounds of propane when full (170 pounds!) Don’t think he would be carrying an empty tank!

See, I told you, cow poo + water = well, just don’t drink the water, remember your safety responsibilies.

IMGP1046 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1048 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Here’s the phone number if you want to call Juanita

IMGP1052 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Some BONUS pictures by the other guys...

lots of elevation changes by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

beer,pop stop by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

great view from these roads by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

You really don't want to miss a corner on this road! I suppose you would have enough time to confess most if not all of your sins on the way down:

yeah we were down there by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

dinner ordered by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

a little local art by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

BG going down hill by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Hope that's not too many photos. Figure its better to have more than less, and when I read reports I like looking at the pictures.
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X

chabon screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 07:04 PM
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote