View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #161
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Have you actually had it running yet?
Sorry, don't want to join the attack brigade, but I've been wondering the same thing. If the mechanicals are already dealt with then I'd say this was an outstanding project. But, if the bike isn't running and fully operational then I can't see spending so much money and effort on cosmetics. In my way of thinking dealing with the mechanical aspect is the FIRST thing done, then once that is all sorted and correct you move on to addressing the cosmetic concerns.

Forgive me for asking, but after all these pages all I've really seen mentioned is looks, coolness, and other purely cosmetic considerations. Perhaps I'm wrong but I just haven't read much about what was done to get the bike mechanically sound.

Perhaps it didn't get all that hot. Maybe it didn't get hot enough to actually damage any of the major metal components like the frame, etc. But, it obviously did get hot enough to do a real number on all of the plastic/rubber parts, and seeing as how the BMW is a very high tech machine that relies heavily on electronics for almost everything, and electronics rely heavily on plastics for insulators, etc. Well, let's just say that electrical gremlins could be an ongoing issue with a bike that suffered that sort of damage and I personally would want that all sorted before worrying about making the bike look good.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote