View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #71
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Stage 8 Navajoa to Santa Ana

Stage 8 Navajoa to Santa Ana, 317 miles.

This was actually the first time we spoke to another gringo on the whole trip. We only saw one car from New Jersey and one car from California the entire trip! The gringo was looking for a handout as his car had burned up ( in New Mexico) and he wanted to continue to Guatemala. We filled up with gas this morning and I was airing up the tires when I had a sidestand mishap and dropped the bike, this would be the tenth and last time the old girl would end up laying down on the job on this trip. I tried to pick it up and strained my shoulder, this would be the most bothersome injury and am glad we are now on paved road and at the end of the trip. Have to use my right arm to lift my left hand up to the handlebars. Makes pulling the clutch a bit difficult also.

IMGP1196 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1197 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1198 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Here’s a tip, it is hard to break a 500 peso note. Best place to break a 500 is at Pemex. Other places won’t have change. All I had to pay for breakfast was a 500 and they had to go over to Pemex to get change for me.

IMGP1199 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

We are out of the canyon and mountains now. All desert from here on. The best of the scenery is behind us, but the trips not over. Still need to get home!

IMGP1200 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Good day riding, just making our way north. Pass through the edge of Guaymas and head north towards Hermosillo.

IMGP1201 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1203 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1205 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Bypass the toll road as we did at the start of the trip and stop in Parquis for some fine goat tacos and grilled whole onions. A school aged girl spoke a little english here. I asked her what was good and she recommended the hamburger. Do they have pink slime in Mexico? I doubt it, but I went for the goat!

IMGP1206 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1207 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

I think they can grow grapes anywhere. Vineyard along the bypass road.

grape vinyard by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Made it to Santa Ana and stay at the same hotel.

IMGP0907 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Walk up the road a ways and have dinner at Elba’s. I ordered half a milanesa and it covered the entire plate! The toxic chemical I put on my finger seems to be killing the little alien that lives alongside my fingernail off! Pulled shoulder is starting to hurt pretty good.

elbas by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Now I should mention here, for all you scientifically minded people, that if your boots and feet are wet or damp for more than 4 days something odd starts happening. I'm sure it has something to do with bacteria, fungus and mold, but not having a microscope on hand I'm just guessing. I think I will dub this "Biology Experiment on Steriods Gone Wrong"! You will be pleased to know that there are NO photos.

Tomorrow we should be back in the states if all goes well

Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X

chabon screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 05:22 PM
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote