View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #362
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 585
New Dash Layout for the Desierto III

I am banged up with a broken collar bone from a MTB training run crash during my prep for the APC rally in August. So in the interests of doing something useful towards the rally prep over Easter I have designed a new dashboard. Both our F658's have a Touratech dash back with the Desierto III fairings which allowed me to mount the necessary charge outlets and stuff, but it was always a bit of a mess and constantly annoyed me.

So the CAD work is almost done for the new one. Hopefully next week I can send it to the laser cutters. After that if everything fits as it should I am going to anodize them as the powder coating on the Touratech one is a crap idea. Controls are LH: UHF radio, Burns Moto USB, Powerlet 12v outlet and RHS: Burns Moto ABS disable circuit, main headlight on/off (for when we travel where it is rude to have the HL on all the time during the day) and Clearwater spots on/off and dimmer. The space top RHS is for a future use perhaps a heated vest controller. The outline is a neat fit inside the DIII fairing, I hope TT make them all from a similar mould or it won't fit as I have made it quite a neat fit, took lots of suck-it-and-see CAD to get it right as the shape must have been originally made by a pattern maker using hand carving techniques, not a bad way of doing it but it does result in same rather "unique" shapes.

I'm also building version 3 of my custom screen for the Desierto III, the first couple were designed and built a year ago in a hurry before we shipped the bikes to New Zealand for a month of South Island play, and then had to do the job again last Christmas for the North Island because last year was a tad busy, but they don't perform that well in the rain, so I have hatched a plan for a new shape. The mould is done and I am in the process of learning how to vacuum form clear acrylic, the current ones were drape moulded and the new shape is too complicated for that process to work - pics to come when i'm a bit forther down the track.

In the pic below you can see the outline of the Touratech one for refernce

Here is what the Touratech POS looks like - very poor quality powder coating, not to mention the sloppy fit. On the LHS you can see the original UHF mount I made, it worked just fine, but not "just" right and I am a bit of a perfectionist, so a new one is needed.

And here is what the current custom screens look like - on the Nevis Track South Island in New Zealand, 27 river crossings in 5 hours what a blast!

Mike.C screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 01:44 PM
Mike.C is offline   Reply With Quote