View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
peteFoulkes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Some nice Swag there mate. You'll love the Mayer seat ... the Mayer family have a long history in MC saddle making going back 30 years or more. Rocky is one of the best. I've been to his shop in Ojai, CA. That seat will be a life saver. That's a 12 hour riding day seat.

ALL BALLS would not have been my 1st choice for bearings. Yes, they are very inexpensive. Now why is that? They are roundly condemned by some in the off road world. Most get one season out of these bearings. Not good.

They are low end Chinese made bearings that have been repackaged by a middle man/marketer. Fact is ...many bearings today are made in China ... even Japanese companies like Koyo out source to China. But the quality range is wide ... and apparently ALL BALLS tend to be at a low level. You can buy very high quality Made In China bearings ... ALL BALLS are not them!

Yoshi pipes are L O U D !! May bring unwanted attention? ... but that's up to you guys. Very well made, high quality and light weight race pipes. Bit loud for me. (Got ear plugs? )

Dakar style Dash ....
The Dakar Dash is a beautiful thing ... but IMHO as a former desert/Enduro racer ... not safe. You will crash and if your body goes through that dash it's gonna hurt. Been there, seen it happen.

But all this is your choice.

Should be an Epic trip for a worth while cause. Maybe you guys can even do some research as to why Cancer rates are so low in places like Mongolia, parts of Africa and Latin America. Diet and lifestyle per chance?

Bon Chance!
Hi Grifter
Disappointed to hear your comments about the bearings. We posted a threads on various other forums and All Balls seemed to get a fairly good review. It's too late now to be re-changing them all so we will go with what we have but will definitely consider your comments when it comes to purchasing the spares we will be carrying.

As for the Dakar dash...Yeah, I see your safety concerns. It's been something we have considered but decided to chance it. Fingers crossed we make it round safely. If we deem it too dangerous along the way we can always loose it.

Really pleased with the Bill Mayor. Hopefully we will get the chance to stop in and thank them for their work en route.

Thanks for your input.

Find us on Facebook here:
www.facebook.com/toughmiles
peteFoulkes is offline   Reply With Quote