View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
Wicked Ural-a-ling in the southwest, a winter sojurn 2012

Howdy All,

It has been my habit for the last 8 years or so to escape from the gloom and rain of the Nor-Wet by traveling south in search of sunshine and a bit of warmth. For many years I would spend a couple of weeks in Death Valley but after being there so many times and having seen everything there is to be seen and ridden every trail possible I needed something different. And so I tossed a request out to my fellow Uralista's who lived in the southwestern part of the country to do some sort of small rally or just participate in a small group ride showcasing their part of the country.

I had also heard about a sidecar rally being held a few miles northeast of Yuma Arizona and so I kinda planed my time and route to include this rally. This year would be my first time going south with the toy hauler I had bought last summer, so going to a new rally, meeting new Ural riders and living in the deluxe rolling garage was something I was looking forward to. I left from my home just outside of Granite Falls WA on February 12th, arrived two days later at a friends home in Hespria CA where I would spend the next day before leaving to attend the rally in Arizona.

I arrived at the rally site a day before it started, I wanted to get there early as I wanted to pick a parking spot for my truck and trailer that was easy to get in and out of. Having never before towed a 38 foot long 5th wheel trailer I didn't want to arrive and have to jocky that beast into a camping spot. As it turned out there were plenty of easy parking-dry camp sites but as I had never been in this area before I didn't want to take a chance.

The next day the Uralista's started to show up, first was Dennis with his neat camper-van, his Ural in the foreground.

Later that evening the Ural riders from Arizona started to arrive, I am sorry I can't remember everyones name. This is Terry's rig

Here Walt, a rider who lives in Colorado does a bit of head light repair.

I think this is Beemer Bob's rig.

When ever a Ural or especially a group of them are parked, they soon draw a crowd of folks wondering what they are and how old they are, most are surprised to hear that they are still being made and that most are only a few years old.

Terry who is a member of the Navajo Nation has a sense of humor that he enjoys sharing.

The sidecar rally that was being held at this camp ground was open to all makes and models of motorcycles equipped with sidecars. After the Ural camp was established Dennis and I rode across the road to where the other sidecars were starting to show up and to setup camp. We walked around and talked to some of the folks most were nice people but as always we ran across a couple who just had to show their contempt for Ural's by making snide remarks. Funny thing is one of these fancy rig folks was to later break their high dollar rig trying to get it unstuck from the sand they rode into, something a lowly Ural would have no problem with.

The next day myself Dennis and a couple of fellows from across the road, sorry I can't remember his name went on a nice ride on a dirt road that had some very deep sand on it, this caused a problem for the guys on the one wheel drive rig and they had to turn around. Here's a bunch of photos from that ride.

You find the strangest critters in the desert.

This was one of the DEEP sand areas that forced the one wheel drive rigs to have to turn back.

We came across a wash with Dennis's last name.

The camp ground was next to a large dam formed lake, lots of boating and fishing in the middle of the desert.

I stayed at the rally site for two days then packed up and headed to "Pipe Organ National Park", stay tuned for some beautiful desert views.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote