Originally Posted by drc42
This is high on my list of events I want to do. While it is probably doable with my KLR I am hoping to have a KTM 950 Adv by then. So, the $2k entry fee includes hotels and chase vehicles? That is one heck of a deal!
$2k entry includes:
1. Hotels day 1 thru day 9. (double occy)
2. Sunday night dinner/rallymaster's meeting day 0
3. NWT camp sleep bag, tents, dinner and breakfast. Bring your own spirits.
4. Three chase trucks and trailers. One van to haul spares and gear.
5. One chase truck doubles as a gas truck for the places you need it. There will be two, NWT camp and the Dempster Highway.
6. Awards banquet done big with awards. Cash bar.
Navigate via route charts given out every night. A 6" holder is useful, or simply use your map case on top of your tank bag. Like Baja, you won't really need your GPS for navigating because there aren't many roads. However, you will need the GPS satellite clock, because the rallymaster uses it to time your check points. You need it mostly for starting on the right second. I used a stop watch to time my progress through a TSD.
In 2006 I trailered from Boston to Seattle. In 2010 I doubled with a friend to trailer from Phoenix. All in I think I spent about $3k, maybe a little more when I count tires and spares consumed and a service interval.
Great value for what it is. You couldn't really do it on your own without hiring support.