View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,656
XR650L: Spud's Oil Cooler

For a while I have been considering different options to install an inexpensive, well-protected oil cooler for my XR650L. I finally decided to experiment with one of the Long/Tru Cool, power steering coolers sold by Baker Precision.

http://www.bakerprecision.com/trucool.htm

Because I wished to keep the oil lines feeding the cooler well protected, and as short as possible, I decided to purchase the 4x4x3/4, small, power steering cooler, which sells for $29.95. After considering a side mount, I finally decided to mount the oil cooler on the bikes downtube, as high as possible, directly behind the front fender.

I constructed a frame for the oil cooler from 3/4x3/4, aluminum angle stock, and 3/4, aluminum bar stock I purchased from Home Depot. I bolted the oil cooler to the angle stock, and completed the coolers frame by bolting two cross pieces of 3/4 bar stock.

I mounted the bottom of the cooler to the frame with two, 1/4x2 bolts, and a short piece of aluminum behind the downtube. I attached the top of the oil cooler to the frame with a plastic zip tie, which I intend to replace with a steel cable tie.

I purchased SAE J1019, transmission oil hose from a local CarQuest store. I ordered five, 90-degree, brass hose barbs from a local hose supply shop. Since I wanted to install a Trail Tech, TTO Temperature Gauge, I also bought some brass fittings from Fastenal. Most of these fittings are also available at many auto supply stores.

I cut the external oil pipe just above the rubber grommet on the frame, and plumbed the oil line into the bottom of my oil cooler as shown in the photographs below. I plumbed the top line from the oil cooler into the line feeding the oil reservoir in the frame. I installed the temperature probe in the oil line between the engine and the oil cooler so I can get a continuous reading of the oil temperature as it exits the engine, before it enters the oil cooler. I secured the oil hoses to the bikes frame using 5/8 loom clamps I bought from Home Depot. I drilled holes in the front fender, and shimmed the fender down with nylon spacers so it would clear the oil cooler.

After installing my Spud Cooler, I went on a 110-mile ride to test it.

Im pleased to report the oil cooler works well. I paid approximately $95 to purchase the parts needed to assemble the oil cooler. I spent an additional $50 to plumb the TTO temperature gauge into the oil line. I will continue to report on the effectiveness and durability of this oil cooler as I accumulate more miles riding my XR650L with the oil cooler installed.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote