View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Holy smokes Spud.....did ya buy stock in a hose clamp factory

Kiddin.........looks quite decent.........how are your clearances when the wheel is turned full left/right........and hows the clearance for the fender and wheel at full compression??????????????

If that checks out it looks good to me...i still like Marks cooler though.........but this is definately cheaper.

Hey.i started a rebuild thread if you`re interested...read along,,,i have a few issues so far..but what doesn`t when you gut something completely apart........

Good job.....know how about a good stereo install.....i`d love to have tunes on my bike going through the woods

B

I can't fool you, Brian! I invested in hose clamp stock just before I started this project.

I mounted the oil cooler as high as possible while still maintaining good clearance with the forks when turned to full lock at both left, and right positions. Here are a few photographs to show the full lock, fork positions.

I don't doubt the wheel would contact the oil cooler with full fork compression. However, I don't ride the bike hard enough for that scenario to concern me. If I jumped the bike, or even came close to using full fork compression, I would not have mounted my oil cooler in this location.

I haven't measured for clearance of the oil cooler with full fork compression. However, the doctored photograph below simulates the amount of fork travel available before the wheel impacts the oil cooler. Incidentally, my front fender is now in a different position than the one shown in the photograph.

If I pushed my "piggie" this hard, I certainly wouldn't consider mounting my oil cooler in its present location. However, I plan to ride my KDX220 in the nastier terrain, so I wanted to install an oil cooler for sustained, high engine rpms while riding on the freeway. I am confident I have enough fork travel available for the off road riding I have now reserved for my XR650L.

During the design process for this oil cooler I conferred with my friend Andy, who is an experienced trail rider, and an experienced mechanic of 30 years. I have ridden with him a lot, and he doesn't think I will ever hit the oil cooler with my front wheel. He is also convinced this design is durable, and will not fail me. However, only time will tell. I will be sure to report any problems I encounter with this design.

P.S. Thank you for the kind words. I will certainly check out your rebuild thread!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote