View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey Spud,

Once again, you show your resourcefulness, and ability to keep us all in awe. Very good work.

I have two questions.

First, what problems (overheating) did you encounter that led you to add an oil cooler? I am guessing that the high Idaho desert in the summertime causes problems, but what were they?

The second question regards the placement of the new oil cooler, and access to the spark plug. I don't know about you, but I can barely get my hand in there right now--have you tried to remove the plug since you installed the cooler?

PD
I haven't had any overheating problems yet, PD. I'm trying to prevent problems. I can tell the oil gets mighty hot inside these engines, and I decided adding an oil cooler was a good idea, since I removed the stock air scoops when I installed my aftermarket fuel tank. Also, I wanted to be able to monitor the oil temperature with the digital, TTO temperature gauge. Now, if the oil temperature rises too high, I can at least back off the power, or stop the engine until it cools down.

Removing the spark plug is not any more difficult after installing my oil cooler. My oil hoses are all routed away from the spark plug, so they do not hinder access to it.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote