View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #43
#philsmith OP
Desktop Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
So with the overcast skies arriving again and the forecast of torrential rain the next day, it appeared the universe had decided I was going back to London

A quick look at a few last sights to keep me going before a leisurely blast back to the capital.

Knill's monument, built as a mausoleum in 1782, is a 50ft high granite pyramid built by an eccentric mayor John Knill. It was never used for it's intended purpose as John Knill died while in London and was buried in Holborn. It stands 100 ft above sea level at the top of Worvas Hill, just above the woods we used to run cross country through while at school.

It was interesting to realise at that point something I had never given a second thought. This monument I had run past once a week, sat on for a break while out mountain biking through the summer and used as a navigation point while bringing the boat back into the bay had not only been much more important in my life than I ever thought but had been made over 300 years ago so a man could be remembered. I wondered if he ever thought it would be such a big part of the community?

I would never forget Knill's Monument as it is ingrained into my childhood and then my later years one way or the other so I guess you can say he succeeded in being remembered.

In John Knill's Will provisions were left for a ceremony to take place every 5 years which still occurs today. You can find more info here http://www.btinternet.com/~ptaffs/knillmon/knill.html or by google searching John Knill or Knill's monument.

www.small-adventures.co.uk

#philsmith screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 07:18 AM
#philsmith is offline   Reply With Quote