View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #24
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,349
Why not add some color to my prior post. There were some folks taking pics on the course, but no idea if\when those will be available. I do have some pics though of my personal damage of the weekend.

Exhibit A:

This design just annoys me. On top of getting some radiator guards, I'm also going to put rubber caps on the ends of the screws. Seems to be the wise thing to do here to help deter the screw poking through the aluminum.

Exhibit B:

Now keep in mind that I have haggard feet as it is. This left foot has been through some serious hell due to my riding. This isn't the 1st time I've managed to put it between a tree & a hard place. First time was at a Harescramble in Byron, IL. At this point I was still wearing my Alipinestars trials boots. Super comfy, but a bit less protection than MX boots. I put my foot between the foot peg & a tree doing 15-20. Pain was immense, and I immediately sought out some Alpinestar Tech 8's (which I was wearing this past weekend....I dislike them BTW).

Exhibit C:

The piggy that went to the butcher. I nabbed this pic last night after getting out of the shower. I had a moment where I thought the toe was broken, cause as I stood on my foot, the toe rolled over completely on it's side. I did a quick comparo with my right foot, found this to be "normal", at which point I headed to the kitchen to grab a tasty beer.

So maybe I need some input here. I realize I've only smashed my foot a second time here in about 18 months, but it's been 2 times too many. Are there any good suggestions for avoiding smashing my feet into things? I'm sure it'd help a bit with some smaller boots, but as you can see, I got some serious finger toes, so I'd have to lob them off to fit something smaller than size 13 boots. I mentioned earlier that I really dislike the Alpinestar Tech 8's. The boots have an "inner booty" that annoys the snot out of me. After you wash the boots, that booty feels like it shrunk 2 sizes. Then cram your foot into a shrunken leather boot. Long story short, they've annoyed me almost from day one. I thought they'd provide more protection, but I'm honestly not finding that to be the case.

Keep my toes up? I try this best I can, and maybe I need to ride on the balls of my feet more? Tricky though with non stop rear brake work (and no, I won't be getting a left hand rear brake). I'm up for suggestions here on this one. In the meantime, I'll be waiting on my replacement radiator & getting myself prepared for the Shane Watts school.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote