View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #50
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Speaking of airflow...when it comes to oil coolers, airflow is everything.

After finding the highest oil temperature my bike sustained without a front fender, I decided today to test a drilled fender. I drilled as many holes as I could, while still trying to maintain the structural integrity of the fender.

After mounting this fender, I actually removed it, and drilled more holes on the outside edges. Then I went for a ride on the freeway. Riding at 75-80 mph for about 30 miles, my oil temperature reached a high of 279 degrees. This oil temperature was 24 degrees higher than the 255 degrees I observed riding under similar conditions without a front fender, and I consider it unacceptable.

If I didn't fully understand before, I certainly understand now. Maximum airflow is the key to keeping oil temperatures lowest. Althought the drilled fender looks well ventilated, it is undoubtedly more than 50 percent blocked. Here are a few photographs of my bike after the freeway run.

I decided this was my final ride with this drilled front fender.

After I arrived home, I cut a large square out of the fender, and installed some 1/4-inch, galvanized hardware cloth. I'll post a photograph of the modified fender later.

The next time weather permits, I am going to make another freeway run, and this time I expect the high oil temperature will be much closer to 255 degrees than 279 degrees.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote