View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #67
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
After rereading an earlier post, I now think someone believes I am blocking airflow to the cylinder head; that's not the case. My oil cooler is located well above the fins on the cylinder head. Also, I have trimmed the rear of the fender to prevent wheel impacts, so my engine is receiving more air than ever before.

Engine oil temperatures are the only objective measure of how hot the engine is running on an XR650L. If oil temperatures drop, the engine is runner cooler. I'm sure my oil cooler was radiating heat, and lowering engine temperatures a little even with an unmodified fender. Cutting a hole in the front fender increased airflow over the oil cooler, and reduced engine oil temperatures another 31 degrees. Therefore, I'm confident my oil cooler is reducing engine oil temperatures greater than 31 degrees, Fahrenheit.

It will be interesting to compare the temperature difference between my temperature probe, and the XRs Only dipstick thermometer. I also plan to cover my oil cooler with duct tape, and compare temperatures with my current configuration.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote