View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #69
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Incidentally, I could easily get another 1/2-inch of clearance between the front wheel and my oil cooler, using my current hardware. Using bent pipe and compression fittings, one could probably mount this oil cooler even higher than that. Therefore, clearance with the front wheel isn't an issue, as long as the front fender is trimmed high enough so the front wheel doesn't grab it, and lock up, long before the wheel would have impacted the oil cooler.
Spud
Now that you've proven that the 4 x 4 cooler works as well as the 4 x 6 cooler that I used I'll probably go out to the garage this afternoon with a lawn chair and a six-pack, stare at the bike and think about re-doing my oil cooler. The 4 x 6 unit just didn't seem to have adequate clearance tucked against the down tube, either in the horizontal or vertical orientation. The 4 x 4 unit, however, seems to fit just fine.

Sideways mounting addresses any questions that others have raised in the past about adequate cooler draining (ports facing upward) or "airlock" by-passing any internal cooler passages (ports facing downward). Thanks... I think.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 11:41 AM
LexLeroy is online now   Reply With Quote