View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #74
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,272
Talking Planning Denver to Moab leg

Looking west from Denver towards Moab, it is like this, with a couple of alternates in case of snow: Denver, Marshall Pass, Lake City, Uncompahgre Plateau, Moab. Not a lot of time, only 3 1/2 days of riding, but we should have plenty of fun.

The plan is for my son and me to fly to Denver mid June 2012, select gear from storage, ship a few things back home, dump the rest, pick up the bikes at the shop, ride to Moab. We will meet Jakbrand and other inmates there to do a ride/camp/tour of South Utah, primo campsite on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, return to Moab, store bikes, fly back home to Baton Rouge, work, and get ready for the next leg from Moab to Salt Lake City later in the summer.

The WR250's suspensions are being upgraded. Technical single track really taxes me and after riding a KTM for a few miles, I realized how inferior the suspensions of the WR's are. The upgrade should extend my comfort level with more difficult terrain, i.e., I am hoping it will make me a better rider…... Travis Jones of Go-Race Suspension is doing the work. I will report later after the ride on the upgrade, but from all the research I did, his work should do the trick.

I have also upgraded our camping gear with ultralight items I have tested this winter.

Stuff like this:

Instead of a nylon tent, a cuben fiber tarp (blue bag, on top of a Kindle in the pic), carbon fiber single pole instead of several aluminum poles, titanium stakes, super light solid fuel/wood stove to boil water instead of jetboil, down quilt instead of sleeping bag, cuban floor instead of nylon, etc. Huge difference in weight, size…yes, my wallet is a lot lighter because of it too . But essentially I can carry my tarp, pole, mattress, stove, sleeping bag and miscellaneous stuff inside my 3 liter hydration pack easily.

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote