View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #786
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
East Coast Airheads Ride Day Three & Four

Wasn’t the best sleep I’d ever had. Couldn’t say why. Had issues dropping off.

The other three guys left early. I was in no particular hurry. Steve had booked the room, but only for three, so I was left to sort the lady out – but got no response when I went to the office, & also phoned the no noted – at 8.30 & 8.45. So left.

Took the back road out of Mahia – Tunanui Rd. Come out at Morere. Magic.

Unfortunately I should have fueled at Wairoa, so had to slab it to Gisborne. Made it into the gas station just as it cut across to reserve. In hindsight, I should have taken the more interesting back roads anyway. The tank has two reasonable reserves…

SH2 out towards Opotiki, turned right into Whakarau Rd. Very nice, narrow road, multiple little fords. Grass growing in the middle of the track in some places.

Stopped to have a chat with a farmer here, clearing a tree from the road. Think he was glad to take a break. He’d seen the others go through a couple of days ago. As an ex flat tracker, he wondered why the guys slowed for the corners so much...

That road links to the Motu Rd. On the Gisborne side it’s well maintained. On the Opotiki side less so. Loads of sign from cyclist through there. Had another chat with a bloke towards the summit. He indicated limited traffic though today…He’d live up there if he could…

Passed a little city car (Daihatsu or similar) shortly after. I’m surprised it still had its front skirt on. It was just about touching as it bounced around. Guess it was a rental.

The fords only had limited flow thru them.

Late lunch at Opotiki. Then attacked the East Coast Rd.

Made it to Hicks Bay before the light started to go, so took a Motel room. Had a chicken roll for dinner, was in bed by 9.00.

East Coast Airhead’s Ride Day Four.

Took the 21 km ride from Te Araroa out to East Cape. Funny, I thought there might be a bit more there for the tourists than a toilet. It’s on the other side of the hill from the cape, & I think access might be across private land.

I’d said to Mandy I’d make it home that night, so didn’t stop for photos as much as I should have.

Stopped at Tolaga Bay for a coffee, & a quick photo of the wharf. Got caught up with a very chatty guy that was supposed to be working on the car park beautification. Hope he’s not being paid by the hour.

I’ll let the residual photos do the talking.

Back at Wellington by 8.00. Big day.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 06:49 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote