View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #123
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
You do not need to lose the factory heated grip. Using a sharp knife, slit the stock grip without going all the way through. You can then tear it apart at that point.

The heating element is held in place with small perforations that fit over raised projections and can be peeled off.

The G-2 tube is a generic aluminum tube with an eccentric cable cable spool. Stock has a nifty slot that accommodates the wiring slack as the spool rotates. The G2 does not, excess wiring can be hidden in the housing if you pay attention to which way it rotates.

I spray hair sprayed the throttle tube and reapplied the element. I did the same with a K bike grip and slid that over the element.

Aluminum does soak up heat, so in hindsight, a layer of tape over it first may help, but I cannot tell the difference.

The F8 grips, only come as a set and expensive for my taste. The K bike grips can be bought individually for about $11. They are also a little thicker if you are sensitive to vibrations.

Aftermarket should work, but the wiring plug is probably BMW specific.