View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #66
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless View Post
I am enjoying your thread--and learning quite a bit. I have two '81 IT465s I am combining into one. I have a new top end--piston and freshly bored matched cylinder. I also have some new wiring, new bearings everywhere, new DG exhaust system, new bars, new tires, new cables, new brakes. In short, a nice project ready to put together and try out.

My biggest dilemma with the IT465 is that neither of my cases will work without some repair and maybe machining. The better of the cases has a hole between the tranny and the crankcase.The other case is shattered at the kickstarter shaft (lots of abuse there from energetic POs, I fear). I recognize some of the flaws in your cases as similar to my own,

Your photos and research have shown me my cases are about par for the course and not unusually damaged. I am also learning what to look for as I put everything back together.

My best course of action, though, might be to purchase a set of cases in good condition and bin what I have. I have plenty of tranny gears in good shape so even a worn out gearbox won't be a deal breaker for me.

Thank you for taking the time to document your YZ project
Thanks cordless. I am glad you are finding this helpful. There are many great projects going on here at ADVR, the site has been a great source of information to me also as I have a couple of airheads I often tinker with.

From your description, it sounds like you are making good progress yourself. Perhaps you can post some pictures?
Have you had your it465 for long? All of the 465's are fine bikes. I am glad to hear you are fixing it.

If your case is broken in the gasket surface area or in a bearing support then yes, I think I too would look for a replacement set. If it is just a small hole than maybe welding would be fine. One of my motors has a small crack at the back of the kick starter shaft boss where many seem to break. I am going to try welding it up at some point. I can usually weld aluminum pretty well if I can clean the area so it is free of oil and contanminants and if the material is truly aluminum.

I did recently weld a 465 clutch cover which is made of magnesium. That was a tougher process. I think there may have still been oil residue within the crack I was repairing despite efforts to clean it well. The weld did not look too great but it did take and does not leak. Since then I have done some more reading about welding magnesium. There was a nice video on youtube on the topic of welding magnesium. I'll be trying again with another broken cover I have. Practice makes perfect as they say.

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote