View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
It's a value call. How much rough off road will you be doing? The GS isn't a trail bike anyway. That R 1100 R might be had for $4,500. At that price the engine, gear box are value enough to retro a '95-'99 worn out 1100 GS. Or you can have the 1100 R plus a real trail bike for less than the cost of a 1200 GS

Look for one owner mc from mature rider. Check ALL service records. Most won't have those. Look for evidence of deferred maintenance like brown brake fluid. A $3K to $4K used BMW is often a better value than the >$8k mc.
People tend to undervalue old BMW if they are more than a few years old. Lots of great. well maintained ones in the $3k-$5k range.

The 1100 and 1150 models each have their pros and cons. I tend to have more faith in the 1100 for over-all low maintenance and reliability, rideability. The 1150 is a better long dx tourer by a hair.

Have an experienced R11xx BMW mechanic check over the prospect mc thoroughly if you intend to pay over $5k. Ride the prospect thoroughly and you will know.

If that Mesa 2000 R 1100 R rides strong, has no obvious issues, I'd drop the cash and start packing for a road trip :)
I really want a two-up bike for touring, with dirt road ability. I want to balance value with long life. I know if I go back far enough I can pick a bike up for next to nothing, but I want to be riding this bike for a good long time.

So I guess what I'm really saying is: my budget is in the neighborhood of $10K, and I want to keep this bike for 5-8 years. So which of the GS's should I be looking at?
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote