View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
30 March 2012

After some delays and troubles we are finally rolling in Jakarta. So glad to get started!
Jakarta traffic is "interesting". Doubly so with a sidecar on the right side. Think flying bats or a school a school or erratic fish. Scooters zip around and between the cars like a swarm of bees. These drivers have some balls, and an amazing mental understanding of the exact size of their vehicle and how far the handlebars or bumpers extend, etc... Always coming so close but rarely touching.

There are some other posts on advrider and horizons unlimited under the same username about the experience with shipping and customs and etc...

Our first experience with the incredible friendliness of Indonesian people came in assembling the bike. I'd put a post on the forums about a place to decrate and put together the bike in Jakarta. I got an e-mail a day later. A local girl had got my info from someone who got it from someone else, etc... She offered her garage and her boyfriends labor to put the bike together. In the rain, without a forklift, and substituting muscle for tools, we got it down off the truck and assembled in half a day.
Thanks Vie!

Big thanks go to Gene and Ken at Holopaw who helped enormously with preparation.

I don't know what kind of pics can say "I'm here". Maybe the Ural on the rim of a Volcano filled with coffee beans and being driven by a Komodo dragon? Anyway, just getting started so not much for now.

Clearing customs wasn't so bad.

Forklift would be nice. Also it's raining.

Ural is a new attraction here

These guys are awesome
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote