View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #91
randel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Sorry BenMen, I misread your post!
Well, I'm afraid that all higher passes are still under snow then. At least locals sayd that passes will be closed until June.
You probably can reach Mestia and Ushguli only coming from west (road from Poti).
Some short overview about places we visit and not yet covered in my report
Batumi - resort at Black Sea. Very different from other Georgia, more "europe-like" and not so exotic, also more expensive. If you like to travel cheap, don't be afraid to take some unofficial apartment there. We got 3-room apartment for 40 Euro for 2 night (family who lived there, moved to summer cottage for that time!).
Southern part of Georgia - very different from northern part, mountains are more like in Spain, desert-like, less or no trees.
Vardzia - ancient cave city, great and amazing place.
Gori and Stalin museum (Stalin, soviet dictator, was born in this city). Take a guide (english, german etc available).
We didn't have time to visit Tbilisi, a capital of Georgia, but don't feel bad about it.
Mtskheta - ancient capital of Georgia - found some comments before our trip that it's overrated, so we didn't visit that too
Definately worth a visit is Kakheti - eastern part of Georgia and a wine county. Unfortunately we didn't have time for that.

What's the most interesting part of Georgia is people. Take time to talk with them and they will tell you where to go (mostly they will suggest to stay with them ). If you don't speak russian, you may have problems with communicating them though. But we met only friendly people willing to help you!
randel is offline   Reply With Quote