View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
HPN - I just want one

I was happy with my R1200GSA minding my own business and had no interest in acquiring another bike, let alone an R80G/S. The Adventure was due for a service so I call into my local BMW mechanic's shop and there in the drive is this HPN, it's in the final stages of being given a freshen up after returning from a trip to ride Russia. It's complete with Penthouse decals and it looks pretty good!

Well I visit the workshop a few times over the next few weeks and each time I am drawn to this HPN, man it looks awesome, I stand there just looking at all the details. Dave the shop owner tells me about the bike, the owners trip and plans to take it to Patagonia etc.

One Saturday morning there is a tired looking R80G/S on a trailer in the driveway of the workshop. the owner is taking it away, it had been hanging around the shop for a few months while he was trying to sell it. There was a long story attached to this but I wont go into it here. Suffice to say this morning he was trying to convince every guy who came by the workshop to buy his bike as he didn't want to tow it all he way back home (circa 650km), he had to sell and the price was getting sharper.

I can be a bit Impulsive sometimes, this was one of them, after starting her up and checking the workshop history I made an offer not really expecting it to be accepted, 15 minutes later I'm signing papers and transferring money. A few words with Dave the Master Tech. and we are thinking HPN replica!

That was a while ago and there has been a lot of progress since, though it seems to have taken forever.

I live in Perth West Australia, the challenge was sourcing parts and services without the benefit of access to some of the usual European sources. Well I'm happy to report that between us and thanks to Dave's expertise the frame has been prepared locally by an engineering whiz and the mono lever and drive shaft have been extended by Paul Rooney on the East Coast. The parts have been accumulated after many hours spent trawling the net and assembly is about to begin!

I have taken a few photos along the way and kept a list of suppliers and service providers mainly because I want to compile a descent history/journal along the way but secondly because others may be interested in how it comes together.

Having read, enjoyed and benefited myself from some of the posts on this site, I thought I'd put this story out here and see what interest it attracts. The next step will be to post some starting pictures, explain how 1 R80G/S became 3, then follow the process of assembling the HPN.
Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote