View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
This has been a love hate relationship with these carbs. With the CVs I had higher speed impact induced fluttering/stalling, with the FCRs it stalls into corners and with the clutch in in low speed, idle level junk. On the street or in the driveway it is fine.

Today was the second time I needed to be towed out of the woods. A combination of the shitty stalling and the crapola Shorai battery which after about 6 starts just clicked the starter. I'll give these one more going over but right now I give them a huge thumb down. My higher speed stalling is gone but this is just as bad.

Very frustrating, back to square one!
If you want to sell them put me in line
I know how to get them dialed for everything but cold starting and thinking about giving it another go
I must have taken mine off al dozen times to get them dialed just right , I tried every jetting range, different needles and pump squirt timing durations, even experimented with the Honda CRF450 pump rods
I found that compared to a single, the 950 likes a lot of pump squirt and the float level is critical,and the slides need to be adjusted to open at precisely the same time, there is also a balance point for air/fuel ration between at idle slide opening(idle adjustment screw), and the pilot fuel screw .
If you were close by and could bring it by I am confident could get it running tops for you in a about 2-4 hours

I am considering fabricating an old tech cable operated butterfly choke with spring loaded bypass door like the old 70's Keihins had , or possibly an electric solenoid actuated enrichment system using fuel injectors in the intake stream
and I have enough HT phenolic resin left over to build another CA intake box

hope you get it sorted Navin they are a lot of fun and well worth the effort , espescially if just riding out of the house in fair weather all the time

Dustodust screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 10:34 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote