View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #31
ScottDill OP
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,062
Lesotho and South Africa - Day 1

OK - I'll try and pull this together over the next week or so.

Just before the end of the year, Harry (whom I went to Africa with in 2010) suggested a trip that he had been organizing with Darrell of GS Adventures (whom was also on the 2010 trip). This was to take all of the best unpaved roads that Darrell knew across South Africa and Lesotho.....a real riding trip. Harry and I had done the game drives and safari cruises on the last trip, but the other two who joined us (Chris and Paul) had never been there before so it probably didn't end up being the ideal trip for them.

We decided to rent bikes instead of sending our own this time so I ended up on an F800GS shod with Annakes and really had no complaints with the bike. We had 13 days of riding and stayed in lodges this time. Since no camping gear was needed, I just packed a Wolfman roll-top tail bag and a set of Aerostich tank panniers to carry my stuff. Both worked well.

We flew Turkish Airlines from Toronto, through Istanbul and Jo'berg on the way to Cape Town. We met Darrel and his wife Michelle at the Backpackers we had booked went out collect the bikes.

After a seafood dinner out at the port, we gathered at the pub to discuss tomorrows plan.

We take off the next morning right after breakfast for a great trip.

Day 1 - Along the Coast - 270 Miles (435km)

We started out easy and stuck to pavement for much of the first day, and ALL of the morning. This is a great idea after a torturous flight and climbing on an unfamiliar bike. In the morning , we hugged the coastal highway and made our way down to the Cape of Good Hope. The views along the way were spectacular.

Of course, we had to pose for the obligatory picture.

From there we made our way through typically aggressive South African traffic to the southern most point of Africa, where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet, Cape Agulhas. ................of course, we had to have another obligatory picture taken.

We stayed at nice clean B&B, right off the beach - The Cape Agulhas Guest House. I think they served us pork ribs for dinner, we had a few beers and went to bed early, still a little jet-lagged. Tomorrow the riding is set to get more interesting.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote